Friday, November 23, 2007

Cornhuskers end disappointing season with a thud, 65-51

Scientists have descended on Boulder to investigate reports of global warming as they try to explain Nebraska's spectacular third quarter meltdown. Quarterback Joe Ganz threw interceptions on back-to-back series for two quick Colorado scores and the Huskers proceeded to implode. Colorado tacked on a blocked punt that lead to another score and it was game over. This was just more of the same today for the Nebraska defense in giving up 518 offensive yards and 65 points. All you need to know about this year's version of the 'Blackshirts' is that Nebraska scored 51 and still lost the game. What a brutal season that started with so much hope and promise!

A few more comments and observations:
* Oh, well. A 6-6 team going to a bowl game is pretty silly, but the Huskers and their fans would have liked to have gone to one anyway.
* Nebraska has forced only one turnover in their last seven games. Even Craig Bohl thinks that's pathetic.
* I'd like to be a fly on the wall at Callahan's meeting with Tom Osborne on Saturday.
* Callahan is an offensive genius but not a great college head coach. His offensive system does work, but it is a moot point if you don't play defense.
* The events between now and signing day will shape the Husker football program for the next 3-4 years. No pressure, Dr. Osborne.
* There were many records set this season. Some of them good, most not so good.
* At least the seating on the bandwagon is much roomier now! Ahh, finally some leg room.
* Another Cornhusker football season is in the books. See you all next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wally, so like, let me see if I have this right. We score over 50
points and rack up over 600 yards...and, we still lose? We're a better team than C.U.

Want to thank you for all the effort once again this season that you did on the Corn Crib...I've enjoyed reading it.

Hope Dr. Tom drops the ax tomorrow.

wally said...

Steve,

Next season you are doing the predictions because you called this one. After the Buffs got beat by lowly Iowa State I thought the Husker defense could hold them to under half a hundred. Boy, was I wrong.

That third quarter pretty much summed up the entire Husker season. Some may say they are glad this season is over, but not me. We waited so long for the season to get started and now it is already over. A new chapter in husker history is about to be written and let's hope the next is better than the last. GO BIG RED!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for next season. This season was too short. But I still love seeing the Big Red play ball. Win or lose I bleed red in more ways than one. Nice site Wally! Best Husker site in the whole damn web. See ya all next year! GO BIG RED!