As much as Bill Callahan didn't want to label this game a measuring stick for the progressof the Nebraska program, it was. The Huskers obviously still have a long way to go before they can compete with the elite programs.
Callahan has upgraded recruiting over the past several years but the gap in talent and
speed was all too evident tonight. Oh, the speed! USC took that measuring stick and
bludgeoned NU over the head with it. Give USC credit because they deserve a #1 ranking. Despite the disappointing setback, all of Nebraska's stated goals are still intact.
A few more comments and observations:
* USC scored so quickly that NU actually lead in time of possession
* Sam Keller had a decent game but it wasn't nearly enough
* I have never seen holes as big as the ones the USC RBs were running through
* USC just toyed with Cosgrove's defense. The poor tackling was an embarrassment
* The lack of sacks this season by the Blackshirts is very disappointing
* This game was not nearly as close as the final score indicates

3 comments:
I think Callahan really has to look at firing Cosgrove...The offense may have been revamped, but defense is defense...Cosgrove took over a really good defense and has turned it into swiss cheese.
This could be a long season. Missouri, A & M, Kansas, Texas, and Kansas State are losable games. If the Huskers finish 6-6, there should be major shakeup of the staff. Callahan gets one more year to turn it around.
Realistically, teams like Rutgers, Cal, South Carolina, Louisville, West Virginia, South Florida, Washington are in better positions than NU right now, and I'm not even including the blueblood powerhouses.
The team and coaches are really taking the USC loss hard - and they should. I heard that Zack Bowman came to practice today without his Blackshirt practice jersey. He said "in order for me to wear my Blackshirt, I need to play like one."
This game was a wake up call and it is time for the team to refocus and rededicate themselves to achieving their preseason goals. I applaud Bowman and hope the rest of the team follows his example. This is why he is a captain.
Post a Comment