Saturday, September 8, 2007

Tobacco Road Blues

The road woes continue as the Huskers escaped Winston-Salem with a three point win. Sam Keller looked very shaky at QB today despite completing 23 of 39 passes. Wake Forest's defense shut down NU's running game and forced the Huskers to the air, but overthrown balls to wide-open receivers and dropped passes again plagued the offense. A crucial interception by Zack Bowman in the fourth quarter saved the day, just when it looked as if the Deacs were going to pull off the upset. The Blackshirts gave up an embarassing 236 yards on the ground to a team that managed only 2 rushing yards against Boston College the previous week. Maybe the Cornhuskers were saving all the good stuff for USC next week? Yeah, right.

A few more comments and observations:
* 3 of 15 on third down conversions for NU says all you need to know about this game.
* The Blackshirts gave up some big plays today, but defense won this game.
* An ugly win is still a win.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am wondering why Coach Callahan won't let his coaches coach. Ego??
Why have an offensive co-ordinator that can't co-ordinate the offense? A good lesson can be learned from S. Carolina's Spurrier. A pro-type offense is good for Nebraska, however, I think that the level/type plays called should be more on the college level. Why have so many plays? The more plays that a player has to remember, the less proficient he is because he cannot dedicate enough time to become pro-ficient at them. I have been a Husker fanatic for the past 40+ years and I have always gone by the KISS theory...Keep It Simple Stupid.

Anonymous said...

What an ugly game! NU better step things up about 10 notches if they expect to play with Southern Cal!

Russ said...

I just barely started breathing normally again today. Believe me, it's hard to hold you breath and fight off the cold sweats for an entire game.
I do agree... a win is a win now matter how terrifying.
May the Callahan be with you...

Anonymous said...

Wally - You have predicted a Husker Loss...

See 2004 Oklahoma...

wally said...

Right you are, anonymous. The problem is that I jinxed the 2004 Cornhuskers. You must recall the evil spirits that were lurking over the program in 2003/2004. That was some bad mojo.

It isn't so much that I predicted the outcome of that game, but I may have actually predetermined the outcome.
Ooooh, scary stuff indeed! It won't happen again on my watch.